Sunday, February 04, 2007

Sorry For Touching Your Soup Can



There's this guy in my writing class who really wants to name his pirate epic "Black Flag". We keep telling him not to because of the band, but he persists. I keep thinking of him and Henry Rollins having a fight over it. Rollins would win.

Many people not from Vancouver, BC, Canada have not heard of Nardwuar the Human Serviette, which is a shame because he's great (early stuff is the best). Perhaps his brand of gonzo works best in a limited locality, although Nardwuar worldwide sounds kind of like a planet I'd like to live on.

Once Doretta and I went to a Peaches show back when it was really hard to get "The Teaches of Peaches" in North America, even though she's Canadian. CiTR had it and Doretta played it a lot on her show and we'd bop around in the studio while it was playing. Anyway, the show was great and Dorrie said I should do an on-air review of it, but I had to work during her show, so I did the review over the phone from the pay parking booth in scenic Horseshoe Bay. The show was great, one of the best shows I've ever been to. It was Peaches, a piece of shit electronic backbeat, her wearing aviators and a moustache and doing a strip show that ended in hot pants with pubes poking out the sides. And then her opening act rushing on stage and them spitting fake blood on each other's chests. Killer. I did the review over the phone and forgot parts of it and said "oh, yeah, I forgot this one part" a lot.

Anyway, Dorrie said she passed Nardwuar in the hallway that day and he said the review was the best review he'd ever heard. When Dorrie told me this it was like I breached another plateau of cool. Nardwuar loves me? I love him!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

going to nardwuar/evaporators shows in langley as an awkward high school kid with ill fitting clothes and too much shame and getting pulled onto stage to make macho repeat-after-me chanting noises was a life lesson in participatory entertainment.

i was extremely afraid of it, but at the same time i think i also really wanted to be embarassed and live to talk about it.

but i still can't do karaoke.

Editorial said...

I love both you and Nardwuar.

Wow, that was such a long time ago. I miss the enthusiasm I used to have for shows and the music community.

Anonymous said...

I was at that show! _t

robyn said...

hey tobias!

you were at the peaches show or the jocelyn-gets-pulled-onstage show?

if you were at the peaches show: crazy. we did not see you and it was in the starfish room (lounge? can't remember the name) so, small.