Sunday, November 20, 2005

Potty

I just finished reading the 6th Harry Potter book. Now, let me put aside my indignation at the depiction of an evil character who has put part of his soul into a ring so that he's somewhat immortal, let me put that aside, and also the depiction of a doorway in a stone wall that shines out as lines of silver in a certain kind of light and of dead bodies with scary eyes floating just below the surface of stagnant water and even the depiction (SPOILER) of a certain kind of character dying in a certain kind of way, let me put all those fairly unimaginative thefts aside and share with you my theory on the HP phenomenon.

These books are like crack, as Dorrie once put it (even going so far as to describe her small cousin as our dealer). Yes. Okay, the genius of J.K. lies in her ability to combine certain elements of stories in such a way to keep the reader constantly enthralled. Everybody loves an underdog story because we see ourselves that way. Everybody loves a school story because school is a microcosm for the real world in which events are simultaneously world-ending and also insignificant. And we all romanticize our school times of the past, not to mention our so-painful-at-the-time adolesence. Thanks to colonialism, everyone more or less loves stories about the pluck of English children, especially if they refer to jumpers and wellies. And most of all, everyone loves a story in which their are constantly new rules of reality being written to boost our heros to greater and more interesting heights.

And Rowling has also plundered a lot of literary tradition to add compelling details to her tale. Not just Lord of the Rings, but a lot of other major fantasy works, as well as folklore, fairytales, horror movies, and, increasingly, sitcoms.

And she weaves it all with impressive skill.

Why, then, does reading any one of her books, with the possible exception of the first one, leave me cold? Admittedly, I keep reading, kinda voraciously, but I've also noticed I read them very lightly, skipping over paragraphs of description and straight on to dialogue or revealing plot points. Hmmmm, just like reading a ... script? Yep, Rowling's plots are interesting, her gags are pretty delightful, and her characters are well-drawn. But her description is often cliched and coarse and, most importantly of all, her stories have little to no inner life. Like a movie script without actors, director, images, lights, sounds.

This wouldn't bother me so much if it I didn't know about the many many children who polish one of her 600 pagers off in three days and don't read anything else for the rest of the year.

Having recently returned to reading after too long, it's a relief to again be plunged into an art form that requires an investment from me for it to really work. Well-written literature invites me in as an observer and a thinker. Well-written children's literature does the same. Rowling invites me to pick which offhand piece of knowledge from book four will turn the plot in book six, but that's hardly the same thing. A good plot does not necessarily make for a good book, although you will slog through all kinds of bad writing to find out what happens in the end. But a world in which we all escape from dragons (but just barely) and every broken nose can be healed with the swish of a wand and all punches can ultimately be rolled with is just too easy, like the books themselves. And all the magical candy gags in the world can't make it interesting.

I will say that the directors of the third and forth films have improved considerably on their source material.

7 comments:

Editorial said...

SPOILER WARNING

Robyn, you're just upset about the plot twist because you love Alan Rickman. I have a theory that he's still good, but that because he was bound to do whatever it was that Malfoy couldn't do, he had to _______________. I think it's all part of his spy plan.

But maybe this is just me trying to reconcile my conflicting emotions on the matter.

The third movie is the best I think. This last one only seemed to make sense because I'd read the book.

The kids are starting to look hot, which is a little scary. (I did always find the original goalkeeper/captain boy cute.) Still, Ron in a magical wife beater just doesn't do it for me.

robyn said...

Oh no, I totally agree with you about that first paragraph. The title of the book alone tells you that. So now we know what the final conflict of the last book will be.

The kids are starting to look hot-- how old do you think they'll be when the final movie comes out: 35?

And finally, I think what I was trying to say above was that the books are sadly lacking in tone, which is often my favorite part of literature. But the second two movies are not, thank goodness.

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine has an interesting, though somewhat dark, theory about the final book: that one of the horcruxes Voldemort put part of his soul into was actually Harry himself (at the time of the scar formation). This would make for a great twist and make perfect sense in a lot of ways (Harry understanding Parseltongue his uber-awareness of Voldemort) but it would mean that in order to completely destroy Voldemort, Harry would have to be destroyed too. A little macabre for a children's book; but wouldn't it be nice, and alarmingly accurate, to have a story that taught that every good has a little bit of evil, and every evil the potential to create something good?

SHL said...

Good post, good points all...
Kat, your last query (good in bad, bad in good)....well, it brings us bad to the tale of the reluctant sacrificial hero doesnt it, wherein said person is hairy footed and/or is Jesus. Same thing, huzzah!

I wanted to sit on Harry when he was in the bathtub. It's getting pretty grim on my end folks.

Ron just gets uglier and uglier.

Matt White said...

nice! i love that horcrux theory. very cool. i, personally, think snape is bad and should stay that way. and was very disappointed by how easily dumbledore was killed. boooo! but i could go on...

the last movie was all right, but lacked the stylishness of the 3rd one. bring back alfonso!

Anonymous said...

So Robyn, does this mean you'll be reading something interesting soon, like, say, Nabokov's _Ada_ ?

robyn said...

I've been reading short stories lately. Murakami and Munro. I've got to work my way up to a novel. I'll take your recommendation under advisement.

tv is telling me to read books!