Friday, November 25, 2005

Turducken

So apart from walking into a house that smells like cooking turkey, I like the part about Thanksgiving where you go around and everyone says what they are thankful for. It is, I think, the nucleus of Thanksgiving Day. Like how the minute of silence is the nucleus of Remembrance Day, the singing and candle-blowing is the nucleus of the birthday, and walking across the stage and getting the paper is the nucleus of graduation. The moment it happens.

I had a found-family Thanksgiving last night in which a bunch of people got together with their friends to do what they usually do with their families. I've had a Christmas like this before and it's a weird but good way to spend a holiday.

Anyway, the thing that I am thankful for is making stuff. Because I don't know if there are any other creatures out there besides humans who make stuff just for fun. And time and time again I save my own psychological bacon by making stuff. Pictures or little books. Things for the wall, things to send in the mail, things to wear. Cloth and paper, pens and paint. The feeling I get in the middle of making stuff is the same feeling I get when I rub my face for a long time: my brain goes into soft mode, or the front of it goes into soft mode so I can hear the back part.

The other day I was talking to Rajeev in the recording booth of the ADR room and I realised that we were making a movie, in the same way that I make stuff sitting on my bedroom floor. This seems obvious, but it hadn't occured to me to think about our movie like that in a really long time. Man, I love making stuff. I have to remember more often that that is what I am doing.

I'm also thankful for other people making stuff, especially when you can really tell someone made it. Like music or writing, and sometimes movies.

I'm also thankful for not getting a parking ticket this morning.

It's just too bad that Thanksgiving's history is couched in screwing over the First Nations people.

2 comments:

Editorial said...

Let's make stuff over the holidays. (New zine involving celery, notebooks, luxury vehicles, and shoes--they're just like us!)

Norman said...

This is a pretty good description of one possible creative process.

The one thing that seems common to nearly all creative experiences, it seems to me, is that they are all a cross between incredibly hard and way too easy. I remember reading a quote from Francis Coppola who said "I wake up every day worried that today is the day that they'll find out." I've never quoted that to another creative person who didn't completely understand what he was talking about.