Thursday, September 21, 2006

49th

So Americans make fun of Canadians, but Canadians make fun of Americans too.

The salient difference, which I realised today while telling TJ a story that Jeremy told me about American tourists and hand sanitizer, is that Americans make fun of Canadians for things they think they do, whereas Canadians make fun of Americans for things they actually do.

There is no US equivalent of Rick Mercer's "Talking to Americans" segment. There are just t-shirts that say "Canada: They Made A Country And Nobody Came." Which is not exactly comedy gold.

3 comments:

Editorial said...

I've never seen Rick Mercer's show.

During the bus strike in Vancouver, my friend Phil got in a carpool with a group of strangers. He had been watching "Talking to Americans" and was recounting this to the carpool and cracking up. No one laughed. Turns out everyone in the car was American.

SHL said...

Maybe it's cause I'm a yank, but I thought that show was lame because it was such an easy laugh,and maybe also because as a Yank, I knew Jay Leno did the same thing every week * to his own people*. Boo yakashak.

Editorial said...

Personally, I'm not a fan of Canadians having a laugh at the expense of Americans. Canadians who think they kick ass are not as cool and amazing as they think they are.