Sunday, April 27, 2008

My Spoon Is Still Too Big

The other day I was at the gas station again (the one on Fairfax and Beverly that's all dolled up to look like an oasis --turns out I go to a lot of theme gas stations) and they have these TV monitors on top of the pumps for people who can't stand to go without stimulus for 60 seconds at a time and I catch an ad for Poptarts with a very recognizable style.

Here it is:



I just caught the end of it. Just enough to wonder why someone would make this who earlier had made this:



Then I came home and did some research and found out Don Hertzfeldt didn't make the Pop Tarts ads; the Pop Tarts ads were ripping off Don Hertzfeldt. I guess one of the downsides of making a brilliant animated short about not selling out to the man is that it may get so successful that the man sees it, likes its countercultural morbid absurdity and uses it to sell refined flour and high fructose corn syrup to impressionable youths watching TV. Maybe he should have just taken the cash?

2 comments:

Brendan said...

Mmm..bean and lard mulch. Thats the ticket to get you feelin' fat and sassy.

Anonymous said...

I heart Don Hertzfeld. He does in cartoons what I would like to do in academia.