Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Zip Me Goodnight

My duvet has given up on life, or at least on the part of its life that involved keeping me warm at night so for the last week, I've been sleeping in my sleeping bag. The first night I unfurled the sleeping bag, I got really excited and not just because I was anticipating staying warm all night--there's something about a sleeping bag that is inherently exciting. This is likely a Pavlovian response in which sleeping bags are connected to camping and sleepovers and the associated little kid excitement of sleeping somewhere weird and slightly uncomfortable and laughing about things in the dark until very late at night. Sleeping bags turn rocky beaches and the slick vinyl of summer camp mattresses into your own personal den of warm-cozy. Not only that, there's something about sleeping in a confined zippered sack that is actually super comfortable. Like how babies stop crying and conk out once they are swaddled.

Also, if the phone rings early in the morning, you can stand up, shove your feet into the corners of the bag and take your whole bed with you to answer it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Robyn, this is wonderful. Wish I could have spent more time with you last month. Ever visiting Vancouver ?

robyn said...

Yep, at the end of May... Um, who is this?

brie said...

Hi Robyn---it's Brie here. Just writing to say thanks again for the hang-out in LA. I hope that your car sitch turned out alright!

Also, I'm not "anonymous" because I realised while typing this that maybe it would seem like I could be. But I'm not. Anyhow...

robyn said...

Damn, you were my first guess. Hmmm. Thanks for the good car wishes-- it wasn't too bad, just a pain in the ass and an interlude of about 15 minutes sitting in more or less the middle of a busy intersection. Glad you still got out and had some good LA-Mexican times. Catch up with in Vancity sometime!