Monday, January 24, 2005

How to Hide Several Thousand Dollars Worth of Film Equipment in Your Room

For this course, we shoot on film. This means we need lots of crap. Gone are the good old days when all we needed was the digital camera, its tripod, and a lightbulb. (Seriously, although my kit was bigger than that, that's really all that I used most of the time. Maybe a couple gels.)

Over the past two Wednesdays, Jordan and I have acquired a sort of unbelievable amount of equipment that we not only had to fit into a car, but take home, haul up our respective staircases and somehow incorporate into our living spaces. As my landlady wants to renovate our non-bathroom into a bathroom, I'm trying to fit everything into my bedroom so that the chance of a c-stand growing legs and walking off is reduced.

Jordan took the two child-coffin-sized boxes of lights and stands and I took everything else.

I have a 16mm Arriflex film camera behind my closet door. The belt battery pack sits on top. Under my bed are two c-stands, two stingers, the tripod, and the box of lens filters. Under my side table is a pile of sandbags. Against the bookshelf lean two pouches of light filters and the flexfill. Behind my shoerack are two flags. In my closet is a 1K light that I have already stubbed my bare toe on, and its stand. Ah, and the plastic bag of clamps and mini light stands. That was in the kitchen for a while, but it's now next to the flexfill. Maybe I could fit it in with the sandbags?

1 comment:

JEB said...

(In a Brandoesque nasal tone): Yes, but do you have a chingus?