Thursday, January 27, 2005

Putting the "Shit" in "Oh Shit"

As of today, every teacher I'm taking a class with has sworn in class. I didn't think my directing teacher would actually do it, in fact, I thought he was going to be the one hold out. My other teachers have come out with great stuff: "Make sure the emulsion is facing towards the lens. No one has ever fucked this up in my class" "Judy Garland was a bitch" "Barbara Striesand with that huge nose and that fucking frizzy hair..." "You better have something to say in film or your work will be shit" And today when he thought he had started the DVD without setting the subtitles, my mild-mannered directing prof uttered a loud, "Shit!" That's five for five and it's only week three.

This is a reason for not just loving post-secondary education, but loving graduate education, and most especially, fine arts graduate education. I'm a big fan of swearing, especially in slightly inappropriate circumstances. In the last little while I've turned into a bit of a potty mouth myself (it's one of those things that go in phases) and I've been trying to reign myself in a little.

I think that I might give up on that for a while. We start principle photography this Sunday, shooting the first scenes of my movie. I hate, I hate, I hate going into shooting. It makes my guts feel like wadded-up wet sheets spun dry against the wall of the washing machine. Perhaps indulging myself in some expressive cussing would help things, or at least be one less thing to feel soggy and clenched-up about.

(I have a can of compressed air by my computer and sometimes I shoot some air into the air and that makes me feel better too, even if it does make the ozone layer feel worse)

In other news, start reading this because of who wrote it and finish reading it because of what he goes off about.

No comments: