Sunday, January 02, 2005

Oh- Five

You know you've had a good New Year's party when you wake up to find a skull and crossbones sharpie'd onto your shoulder and a large horseshoe sharpie'd onto your forearm. They say it's good luck to wake up on New Year's morning and have the first thing you see be a woman (please discuss what kind of "luck" this may be referring to below) but a horseshoe can't be half bad.

Janey's house was a bit of a wreck (black marks from the aforementioned Sharpie on the floor, beer cans on every available surface in the kitchen, beer cans with shotgunning holes filling the sink and a large dent in the living room wall from where Kimmy fell over and hit it with his head) but the day beckoned with sunshine and a few snowflakes and we ventured forth to Bino's Family Restaurant for some breakfast mess. I wasn't even all that hung over, nor tired, having gone to bed at the relatively early hour of four.

In other news, I finally got around to going for a run today. Wow, I miss running on the track up in West Van. As long as I avoid school hours (it's the high school track), the track is this completely deserted shelf of land amongst the trees, against the mountain and looking out to the sea and over the water to downtown. The only other people around are also running, but often it's completely empty and this allows me to do things like yell in triumph when I hit some sort of running target time. I love being able to run and not think about curbs and traffic and dodging pedestrians. Sometimes I run with my eyes closed. It makes running a meditative experience, good for thinking things over.

I can't wait until the USC track is open. March, so they say. I hate running around the campus because of the curbs and traffic and such mentioned above, as well as the alarming shade of purple my face sometimes turn when I run. And sometimes I'm running and I can't figure out where I should go-- up this street, or across the grass, or?

Maybe I'm just not coordinated enough to run in the real world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you're in vancouverland! when do you leave?

- FungusAmongYou