Monday, March 06, 2006

Dave Matthews Liked It

Wow, last night's awards were so inspiring.

When Best Picture was announced, I had a moment of introspection, nodding my head slowly and thinking to myself how strange this crazy old world is. I smiled at my friends around the room, one of whom is Jewish and another of whom is orginally from South America and another who is Chinese or something.

Then I drove home, taking care to rear-end as many people as possible en route so I could really come to grips with my prejudices and hidden inner fears. Obviously other people had the same idea because, folks, Los Angeles last night was a grid-lock pile-up of mangled cars and interracial acceptence and love. I felt so cleansed! Then it started snowing, and it was like a white blanket of angelic forgiveness over the city's collective sins.

Thank Christ for folks like Paul Haggis who show us ourselves as we really are.

(PS: And yes, we did all dance in slo-mo. And it was glorious.)

5 comments:

JEB said...

And you all sang that song from "Rent".

jlew said...

Oh poo. Y'alls are haters. I liked Crash. :b...

robyn said...

I liked Crash too... as a series of scences. But not as a whole movie, not as a message, and certainly not as the crowning cinematic achievement of the year from Hollywood, even as voted on by a bunch of Hollywood-ites.

Norman said...

I completely agree with you about CRASH. My mouth hit the floor when it was announced as best picture. I thought that, for sure, Nicholson was high as a kite and misread the card.

I mean, it wasn't a bad film. But I wouldn't have put it in my top 20. Some good performances, but it never quite came together.

Someone told me that he thinks it won because Hollywood would rather the country think that we're not racists, rather than gay lovers. Hmmmm. I know that I filled out my ballot I completely forgot to think about that.

robyn said...

It has never occured to me that Jack N. might have been mad stoned, but that actually makes me feel much better. Because maybe he was and he read that card and whaddyado? It's live TV, the "Crash" people are fluttering and gasping and already up on stage and plus it's Jack: don't cross him, he might take a golf club to your something. But it's all a big screw-up.

Also: Jack Nicholson shot JFK.