Thursday, March 23, 2006

Situational Irony OR Alanis Morisette Was So Right

Today at work, because I was so grumpy, I started fixating on the number of people to whom the words "please" and "thank you" seem to be an unknown alien language. There were many many many. Including people who couldn't manage to conjure up a "Thanks" to smoothly conclude a phone conversation. I'll admit I let the silence linger to an uncomfortable length and then said "Well, bye" which was not as jerky as saying "You're welcome."

And then someone came and asked me to do something really annoying and said please, like, eight times. And thank you right after every please.

For the rest of you though: is it so hard? I've worked a lot of customer service jobs and I tell you: you be considerate and appreciate me and I'll work hard to make you happy.

If you've never worked such a job, it would do you well to consider yourself fortunate when dealing with people who do have such jobs. There but for the grace of MinWa go you.

Plus, your mom was right about good manners. They make the world go round.

1 comment:

JEB said...

do you mean ming-na wen? a.k.a. the wife of none other than Trader Joe's shopper JOEY SLOTNICK on The Single Guy? Which, BTW, occured around the time I really got into The Jon Stewart Show. I don't watch Daily Show, FYI. I could really go for a BLT right now...WTF?