Monday, April 10, 2006

The Culture Shocker

So I think a lot of people tend to think I'm sooooper nice when a lot of the time I have to work hard to keep a lid being soooooper bitchy. This is partly because I'm Canadian in America and 1) I'm supposed to be nice and 2) Americans can mistake polite for nice (don't be fooled, Americans! Those Brits who you think are being really nice? They're subtextually telling you to go fuck yourself. Unlike the French, who are actually telling you to go fuck yourself. But I digress).

I don't why I am so annoyed at being thought of as nice. It's not especially bad, I guess. But I also guess that it is: passive, milquetoast-y, feminine, boring, unopinionated, and the prerequisite state for being taken advantange of.

Also, a lot of people at school get me mixed up with this other person who is geniunely nice in a way that I am not. Like, really nice and quite sweet and good at being really accomodating and helpful. I am overjoyed to report she's got some inner rage, and yet her niceness prevails. Lately I feel my inner rage getting away from me.

But perhaps I'm just afraid of what I'll be like if I don't keep the nice shields up. What if during an attack of frustration the shields dropped to 80 percent, then 40 percent, then disappeared altogether? Maybe it's like that time I stopped shaving my legs just to see how bad it would really get. Because, folks, it didn't really get that bad and then I was free.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny, I was actually thinking about something very similar today. Not that you are a bitch -- rather, for some reason I was trying to think of females in this place, this program, that are legitimately nice, or sweet, or kind...and very few names spring to mind. The reason for this is I think that oftentimes those particular attributes do not necessarilly get you that far when you are a female. I don't aim to be a supersweet girly girl, but it's a little sad to think that even if I were entirely and naturally nice and sweet and kind, it probably wouldn't be advantageous or productive in any tangible way - at least here. Sort of non-freeing in another way.

robyn said...

No, I actually think that being female and really nice is the death combo for film school. And I would guess the film business.