Sunday, October 01, 2006

Mythical Beasts

The other day I was in traffic, late and pissed off, and lo, what pulls up beside me? A piece of shit brown K-car with the Louis Vuitton logo spray-painted in impressive gold stencil all over it. As Jeremy put it, truly the unicorn of LA traffic, inspiring awe and wonder where ever it goes. I want to make a calendar featuring this car in spring meadows, all soft-focus and backlit.

Nothing eats my brain like writing and in the last few months it's been like digging bullets out of my own flesh with my fingers to sit down and write. Not to actually write, mind you, just to force myself to write. Is this the point at which you start seeing a shrink? W. Allen, please advise. But I had to write this scene, a little stand-alone thing, for directing class and today I got the fun of sitting down with actors and blocking out a scene that I had written less than 12 hours before. This was so fun. So as soon as I finish writing this, I'm going to go work on some writing. Really.

In other news, I bought three of the same shirt today in different colours, because Carrie Bradshaw is RIGHT: if it's wonderful, buy two. If it's cheap too, buy three. Then I brought them home and drew on one with bleach and sewed some stuff on the other and cut little holes in the third (and some little holes in my fingers while I was at it). So they are the SAME but DIFFERENT and also recognizably mine.

Sometimes I wish I could make a living out of having ideas for fun little projects and sitting cross-legged on the floor of my bedroom and doing those projects using random stuff from around the house. This is the best kind of creativity for me. Film is scary because there are so many people involved and you have to keep explaining what the plan is. Once the plan is outside of my head (via my mouth) it never seems as exciting as when it was still bottled up inside. I like plans for making stuff that go directly from brain to hands, and things I make using these plans are always things I like better than, stuff I've made at school in which I have to keep justifying why my idea will work when I'm still in the middle of having it.

I guess the idea is to have full and complete ideas and think it all the way through before even beginning to talk to other people about what I want to do. And to keep the sitting-on-the-bedroom-floor projects going, and not for a living either.

No comments: