Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Squirrels

I brought home this ginormous picture frame from Ikea on Saturday and cannot for the life of me find the poster that is supposed to live in it. It's not with the other posters in the tube, which means I put it somewhere VERY SPECIAL so it wouldn't get wrecked. Somewhere, perhaps, where human hands will never touch it ever again. My apartment is very small! And yet this giant rolled tube of paper eludes me.

My mother is known to call me to come upstairs on Sunday afternoons in April or May to give me things that she meant to give me for Christmas but just found that second. She likes to put things in safe places too. On the other hand sometimes she puts them in non-safe places. She once gave me a silver ring in this mode, gasping upon having found it again. It had been in the drawer by the phone for almost a year and on more than one occasion I had pulled it out and tried it on during long phone conversations. It fit so well, what a surprise to find that it was meant to.

Last weekend I shot a series of scenes in my house. My apartment is small and is designed in a circle--the living room links to the kitchen, which links to my room, which links to The World's Tiniest Hall (off of which is the World's Tiniest Bathroom) which links back to the living room again. My roommate's room is the only non-linking part of the apartment. I like this design very much, but that and shooting in the living room and kitchen from various directions meant that all the gear had to be stored in my bedroom and the back corner of the kitchen (where there was an impassable forest of C-stands) because everything else was a hot set.

All the extra people had to be stashed around in a similar manner (I like the shot we got where Alejandro slates for the camera and then turns around and crouches out of sight in the corner for the rest of the two-minute scene). These people, in turn, stashed their empty drink containers so the shot wouldn't be full of dented Diet Coke cans. I'm still finding them in various corners of the apartment. Inside cupboards, tucked against the side of the couch next to the wall, under the coffee table, behind the fridge. Today I was sitting in the living room and could see the edge of a can just peeking over the top of the kitchen cupboards (invisible if you were actually in the kitchen). It's like a Easter egg hunt for can collectors. Even though some of them are mine, it's still an surprise to stumble across another one in another inventive little hiding place.

No comments: