Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Post-Neo-Citron

I think the worst part about being sick is being tired all the time and staying home too much and generally feeling like your head is going to explode. I've been pacing around my house like a caged animal for the past week or so (or it feels like the past week: maybe it's only been four days), wadded up tissue everywhere, awash with tea and palpating my lymph nodes.

Plus, and let's be honest, I've been trying to write and I'm heading into another shoot, which also creates the caged-animal feeling. A combination of panic and procrastination. Somehow, I often emerge on the other side of this with stuff that I'm pretty happy with, but is the misery of going through this, uh, creative process worth what I produce? Sometimes yes, sometimes, perhaps no.

The other weird side of this is that I've been ravenously hungry the past two days. Eating everything in sight and while eating, wondering what else I have around that is edible. Surely this is not healthy, maybe I've been eating very little over the previous few days? I don't remember.

Don't worry, I'll have the day from hell tomorrow, culminating in the bulk of my shooting, and then the fever will break and things will settle down into the studious lull of editing. But now I must go and sharpen the 30 pencils I bought today so they are all ready for action on set tomorrow night.

2 comments:

alex or eric said...

Rowboat,
Come on. You can do it. Fight the good fight! Keep on Keeping on! Etc.!
30 sharpened pencils, eh? For some reason pencils remind me of the rule when you're a kid to not put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear. I was just like, "gimme a q-tip. gimme a q-tip now." I mean, it's not like I was gonna stick a sharpened pencil into my ear, unless I wanted to be a hilarious photo in an EMT Training Book/Manual. How do they get those pictures. Someone comes into the emergency room with a pitchfork embedded in their skull and someone's like, "Oh, can we take a picture? For medical training purposes? Please..."
Anyway, hope the last project goes well. If not, at least you know you can always give it a kick-ass soundtrack. Heard Belly's "Feed the Tree" on the radio this morning. Found it really enjoyable. May have to pick up their album. Like I recently did with The Gin Blossoms. "Until I Fall Away" and "Hey Jealousy" still sound awesome to my ears...
Someone's at my cubicle looking at me like I should be working. To work I go, Alex's sidekick in some circles

robyn said...

Eric: One: I got a blister on my thumb from sharpening the pencils! Yes, continuing ongoing themes, Robyn's body takes it in the teeth once againg by trying to sharpen shitty dollar store pencils with a valiant but small sharpener.
Two: The pencil-the-ear ailment is a curious one. In lifeguard training, we'd have to do a bunch of simulated emergencies and in one, my friend Nicola trots out of the change room playing a six-year-old with a pencil in her ear. And yes, she really had a pencil in her ear. This, if anything, is the way these injuries happen: by people simulating them so that we can learn how to treat them (don't take it out; call an ambulance, by the way).