Sunday, January 29, 2006

Night Shooting

I spent last night/this morning on Rain's thesis film. It was my first night shoot in terms of there being an actual set and C-stands and gels and stuff. I've conducted my own stay-up-all-night shoots in roam-around guerilla fashion but those involved a much smaller crew and no craft service.

I was the still photographer. The shoot was in a doughnut shop, which was, yes, filled with doughnuts and the only thing weirder than working in the constant smell of lots of doughnuts which the film technically owned was the point at which you no longer smelled it all, which I guess mean that we all smelled like doughnut.



My sleep schedule was that of normal person (get up in the morning, go to bed at night) heading into this shoot, so I can perhaps be excused for needing lots of mini brownies and vitamin water all night long to stay alert. I can also perhaps be excused for getting giggly and hyper (a la birthday sleepover) with Mary, my doppelganger, at around 3. We talked about the moment at the birthday sleepover when the parent comes in at 3 and is very furious ("THAT IS IT. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANOTHER PEEP!!") and you all burrow down into your sleeping bags and laugh hysterically. Then the AD told us to be quiet for the last time and we laughed hysterically.



Lunch was at 11:30. We ate enchiladas in a tent with heaters next door to the Rite Aid I used to ride my bike to to develop photos when I lived in that sketch-o neighbourhood.



By the end I felt parched and high and the back of my skull had that cold feeling of being up too late. I woke up at 2:30 today.

No comments: