Monday, February 07, 2005

Uncool is a Valid Form of Cool

Nerdy Discoveries:

1. I found the lid to one of my pots today, wedged against the weird rice cooker. I keep losing things lately, or things I have keep breaking. The discovery of this lid made me so happy that I put one hand up in the air and said, "Yesssssss!" when I saw it.

2. The underside of the microwave, recently installed above the stove (after a long stint on the floor, which made heating up bowls of liquid potentially messy) has a light! A stove light! It's a lovely yellow colour, unlike the overheard light in the kitchen that is a shitty dim fluorescent bulb. I'm going to try to never use the overhead light again.

3. I can actually sort of understand some of the technical chitchat in American Cinematographer.

3.1 (This is how nerdy this post is: I'm using subpoints and numbering them correctly) The O.C. is shot on 16mm and they occasionally use Kodak Vision2 500T 7218, which is what I'm shooting on.

3.1.1 The O.C. scenes of the house (interior) and pool out the back (exterior) are shot on a soundstage. The ocean is fake. Whoa.

3.2 Further to discovery 3.1, said film stock is advertised in a two-page spread in the front of every issue of American Cinematographer that I've looked at recently.

4. Cumin + pretty much anything (but especially soups and sauces) = good.

4.1 I wish I were a saucier. Or a garde manger.

5. I found a bunch of meaty scholarships online today.

6. The USC library doesn't open until 1 on Sundays. This haunts me for some reason. I recall being so impressed with the robustness ("robustness", incidentally, being what spellcheck used to come up with as the correctly spelled alternative to my name) of Koerner library, open from what--eight? until eleven. Every night, right? Facillitating all your maladaptive study habits.

7. Too much baking bread makes you feel slightly ill at the prospect of baking more bread. Maybe I'll just buy some stunt bread for next weekend's shooting at a bakery. That would save me from making yet another stinky loaf of dense, raw, bland, salty bread for my movie about baking bread.

And not so much discoveries, but valid points in the nerdy theme of this post:

1. I'm wearing socks with flip flops.

2. I grew up referring to this kind of footwear as "thongs", but am too embarassed to use this term any longer.

3. And I'm also wearing very comfortable pants that used to fit me but don't anymore and are therefore frumpy-looking.

No comments: