Monday, March 14, 2005

Yessiree, She

Right, I only moved to LA to spot famous people out in public.

Last night had my only worthwhile sighting so far at that hip place the echo in the middle of that hip area Silverlake. It was, understand, all very hip. And the sighted subject?: PJ Harvey.

Yeah, at the Unicorns show, you know, except it wasn't actually the Unicorns, cause they broke up, but the flotsam remnants of the Unicorns, including a really gleeful drummer man with overgrown hair and wonderfully entertaining, earnest rock-out facial expressions. Four songs were good. Otherwise, no. But those four songs made me remember how fun shows are.

Right, anyway, PJ, Ms Harvey (by the way, note the lack of a period in my use of Ms. (the period just used is cause it's the end of sentence, yo.) That's per the recommendation of one Rhonda Vanderfluit, who says on the matter, "Why use a period? What is "Ms" short for? Nothing.)

Ahem. The Lady In Question was wearing what looked to be fantastic black suede ankle boots and generally looked rather 1983, in that punk way, you know. Actually, her well-put-together-ness kind of threw us. She seemed a little too hip to be really cool enough to really be her (by the way, sometimes I think the state of "hip"ness is dimetrically opposed to "cool"ness. Call me up and we can have an argument about it.). I always think of her as too cool to look that hip.

Sarah tailed her to the bathroom and when she came out, she confirmed: Absolument, Elle.

For those who are interested, the other famous people I have seen are: Lisa Ling, standing around while a manic male companion fretted over what kind of tennis socks to buy (she is angular), and Will Smith, at the Arclight, at the Ray Premiere (he is very tall).

Oh, and what else, the screening!

Great fun. Now I'd like to see all movies some time again when I'm not so drunk. But really, the most thrilly-thrill fun, sitting in front rows surrounded by all the kids in class, giving backslaps to the directors and cinematographers within arm's reach as their stuff came up, receiving them when yours comes up, sharing a plastic cup of cheap wine with Brooke, having complete strangers strike up conversations with you afterwards about your movie.

Uh Huh, Me.

1 comment:

Editorial said...

What did the strangers say about your movie? Okay, I guess I should call you about it.

Also, I'm sorry you had to suffer through the suck of the Unicorns-not Unicorns. They are the worst band I've ever had to work with, including Hot Hot Heat.