Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Boring Chitchat About Clothes, Or: Homework Due Tomorrow

Socks: I got these two pairs of socks last summer, that, at the time, I bought because I thought they were so ugly they were hot. They are very comfortable and sporty and have padded heels and go well with low-top Chucks and it's gotten to the point where I want to wear them every day and so I almost do, or at least I wear them two days before I wash them. I know socks are high on the list of things you are supposed to change everyday, but these socks are so damn ugly, by which I mean awesome, that I can't help myself. Sorry if they stink, folks; they're too cosy-feeling to resist.

Jeans: There are many ways to chart how the first year of movie school has taken its toll on my peers and me. Some people have gotten noticably chubbier, some people have gotten very thin. Some people have gotten many more white hairs (me) and some people's hair has fallen out. But everyone's jeans have gotten destroyed. I got new jeans within two weeks of moving here and I don't really like them so I try to wear them as little as possible, but they are still getting thin and shreddred and white in spots at a seemingly much faster rate than any other jeans I've ever owned. It's as if film school causes premature aging in pants. Witness the knee-holes and disintegrating hemlines of my fellow 508-ers and you'll see what I mean.

Unrelated to Clothes, but Still Mentioning Hair: Tonight, saw Angels of Light with Akron/Family. The theme of the evening was sitting: everyone was sitting, including all the people making music. That was fine, cause, you know, standing through a set I'm not super-duper invested in at shows makes me feel old because of how much my knees hurt afterwards. Still, the room would have had considerably more energy if we were standing and could clump excitedly around the stage, but hey. For some reason I felt really happy to be in a room with a bunch of people, under whatever circumstances. I guess I haven't realised the degree to which I've been in my own strange segregated-from-humanity world. But the band, the band was pretty great and hilarious to watch. You Pony readers know how much I love me some hippie, and everyone in the band had a beard and looked like your dad circa 1977. There were plastic flowers on the amps and a papier mache fish in a glass display box. The music came from the usual suspects (guitar, bass, drums) but also plastic kazoos and a xylophone and a necklace of bells. The seriousness with which the kazoo-kind of music was made was very entertaining, as was the constant guitar tuning of the most jesus-looking of the band members and the other band members' palpabably dwindling patience with it: "Zack's a great tuner" [Zack bobs head and smiles and tunes] Guitar: Dwinnnn dwooooooon, dwinnnn dwoooeeenn

No comments: